01. Did / does anyone in the child’s have any difficulty with reading or writing?
02. Does the child reverse letters or numbers when writing?
03. Does the child have difficulty sounding out words?
04. Does the child have difficulty remembering ‘sight words’?
05. Is the child able to express ideas much better by speaking than in writing?
06. Does the child perform inconsistently at school?
B. Ask the child these questions and answer always / sometimes or never
07. When you put your hand up, do you forget what you wanted to say?
08. Do you ever forget instructions in class?
09. Do you sometimes only do the first or last thing your teacher tells you?
10. Do you get distracted when you’re doing things like getting ready or cleaning your room?
11. Do you find copying from the board difficult?
12. Do you find reading difficult?
13. Do you find getting started on writing tasks difficult?
C. Read these items to the child, then mark their responses as correct or incorrect
Let’s play I spy. Play 3 rounds and tick if the child could produce words starting with the target sound.
Say “A rhyme is where two words have the same end sounds. Fit and pit rhyme because they have the same end sound.”